Saturday, September 11, 2010

9:00 a.m. on 9/11

Everyone can peg where they were when the two planes hit the twin towers 9 years ago today. I was working at a newspaper when I got the call.

The thing about it that still gets me is I can still remember the feeling that came along with the events that day. It ranged from worry, to anger to fear. I couldn't believe that there would be someone in this world that could organize such an attack on us.

I look back on it now and in 9 years, so much has changed. We've been to war, came back and our country seems to be safer now. It was a wake up call of sorts but there is one thing I really miss.

When the attacks happened, it seemed as though the country took a step back and tried to remember what was important. We hugged our children tighter at night. We said I love you more often and we showed so much support for this country we live in.

Right now I feel like we're divided and it scares me. I think we need to remember the way it felt when we realized how important our rights are as American citizens and I think we really need to embrace that post 9/11 feeling and learn to hug our fellow American's tighter.

That is the only thing I wish for on this 9th anniversary of the worst thing to happen to the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment